Trail Mix XI

A few years ago, I was sitting at the counter of Eisenberg’s in New York City, waiting to meet a guy from Portland, ME who I had emailed with a few times after starting this rag. Jay walked in wearing striped overalls and a big smile, ordered a corned beef sandwich and told me about some project he had worked on where he drove around the desert picking up vintage clothes. If I remember correctly, I think he was in town that day to meet some folks from this little no name denim company…

Many moons later, after a few beers here and there, countless “HOLY SHIT, CHECK THIS OUT” emails and a fun afternoon spent making a video in my old apartment, Jay texted me while I walking down W San Antonio in Marfa, Texas. I’d only been in that middle of nowhere town an hour when he mentioned he was about to take a tour of Donald Judd’s house, located just a few short blocks from where I was standing. So I walked on over to meet him, took the tour and spent the first evening of a month long stay in Marfa at a party that Jay had organized, filling my belly with Shiner and making a few new friends with 10 gallon hats. The perfect start to a perfect couple of weeks.

Jay, he of One Trip Pass, is a good friend, a hell of a guy and the creator of one fucking awesome (yep, those are the words I’m picking) Trail Mix. Y’all can play it this weekend on your way to wherever it is you’re going, but I’ll be saving it for a Labor Day excursion with Jay and the Juniper Ridge gang.

See you guys in Yosemite.

Download: CS Trail Mix XI РOne Trip Pass Keeps It On The Road

8 Responses to Trail Mix XI

1. Chris June 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Great mix! Had no idea about Allman covering Nico. Stunning.

2. The Country Fucker June 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Is anyone else having some troubles extracting from the winzip file?
    Either way be sure to bring your climbing gear to Yos and check out the living history of John Muir.

3. jay June 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Jackson Browne wrote These Days when he was 16. Nico was first to release the song on a record (Chelsea Girl) but Allman helped Browne arrange the song for his second record For Everyman and ended up doing a version himself for Laid Back.

4. Tony June 16, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

Awesome mix, bringing up a lot of old favorites, and I was really loving the Bobbie Bare Dylan cover.

What are the details for the last track, “Jesse Ebaugh”? Singer for Heartless Bastards right?

5. brad June 21, 2012 at 5:17 am #

Gregg Allman cover of These Days!…dude

6. Dave July 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

Any chance I could get some info about that Jesse Ebaugh cut? If there is an album floating around out there I would love to get my hands on it.

7. Laura September 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

where i can downloand this mix?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Merriment Hardware - June 16, 2012

[...] As the weather pumps in San Francisco, and we begin to gear up for summer camping… Jay Carroll’s @onetrippass partners up with @coldsplinters for another epic Trail Mix, this one called Keep It On The Road… [...]