New Jersey Bear Hunt

According to state Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Larry Ragonese, as of Saturday night, the kill tally for New Jersey’s six-day bear hunt was 464 bears. (Last year was 592.) That number represents about 13 percent of the state-estimated population of 3,400 bears in areas north of Interstate 78 and west of Interstate 287. One of the bears killed weighed 829 pounds (!), a new New Jersey state record.

More info here.

7 Responses to New Jersey Bear Hunt

1. Mike Hotel December 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

The 800 lb. bear will be a trophy, but I’d rather eat a leather boot! It wouldn’t be as tough!

2. Smokey December 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Jersey just got 13% shittier.

3. Aaron December 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

I wonder why there is such an overpopulation issue. Where did these bears come from, and why are they there now? When I think New Jersey, I don’t think Bears. But then again, I’ve never been. When’s the next Jersey Shore Cast hunt? Crazy overpopulation there as well.

4. David grover December 12, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

Good heavens! (829 pounds!?!?) I want to go bear hunting! I’d love to have me a nice bear rug or maybe I’d go mountain man stylin by making a bear coat! :-D

5. sinuhe Xavier December 13, 2011 at 12:23 am #

“But right now, when you have such an overpopulation, and when you go into the woods and you’re not at the top of the food chain, it’s frightening.”

It’s supposed to be frightening.

6. Steve S December 13, 2011 at 11:55 pm #

I find this very sickening, I am a NJ resident and have had encounters with bears but do not believe there is an overpopulation issue. What there is however is an issue with the bears habitats being threatened by building which is forcing bears into areas they would not normally be in. I do not necessarily have a problem with hunting but this is a unjust hunt based on inflated statistics.

7. sinuhe Xavier December 15, 2011 at 1:40 am #

It’s us humans that are that are overpopulated.