SPORKS ETC.

Last week, after a friend sent me a link to the army cutlery set pictured above, I couldn’t remember using any sort of camp utensil much this summer. I don’t know if that means that there was a lack of effort on my part in making dinner, or if it was purely a realization that I just enjoy a sandwich-ish something more than a big bowl or rice and beans. I’m sure it’ll change as the temperatures drop. Usually does. And I’ve never really enjoyed the Light My Fire thing, but I did encounter an AT hiker in VT this summer that was stoked on his titanium version. He had already broken four or so of the plastic version while scooping out peanut butter.

Thoughts?

11 Responses to SPORKS ETC.

1. tom September 26, 2011 at 6:47 am #

found one of those snow peak titanium sporks under a AT shelter a few years back… cleaned it up good and i must say it does the job well.

2. Loonfeather September 26, 2011 at 7:55 am #

I have evolved from the cheapo aluminum surplus set (who really uses a can opener anymore?), to plastic, and finally titanium. Aluminum and plastic are too flimsy to hold up to my abuses. I went to the Snow Peak titanium spork a few years ago and never looked back.

3. Dan September 26, 2011 at 8:37 am #

I’ve heard good things about the Urbanovsky Titanium Spork – it’s supposed to hold up better than the Snowpeak Sporks. They are spendy but if I was in the market for a spork I’d probably go with the Urbanovsky.

4. Robert September 26, 2011 at 10:38 am #

I carry a Snow Peak spork with me every single day in my backpack. I consider it essential gear.

Dan, I’m curious, do you know someone who has destroyed a Snow Peak spork before? I’ve had a couple, just because of losing them, but I can’t imagine how another spork would “hold up better.”

5. Fat Contradiction September 26, 2011 at 11:56 am #

I’ve been using the three-piece Coghlan’s for 5+ years, with a P-38 on it just in case. The spoon is a great size and the knife is perfect for peanut butter & cheese…

I’ve used cheaper shit here & there, but tend to destroy it pretty quickly.

6. Brad September 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

I normally think its pretty silly to have titanium stuff but I’ve had the snow peak titanium sport for about 6 or 7 years and have to say that it is worth it when you’re out for a long time. Plastic breaks and gets gross.

7. Chris September 28, 2011 at 9:58 am #

I actually dig the light my fire jump-off. Can’t say I’ve tried it on peanut butter though. Got a couple for backpacking, one for my office and one for field work. The colors are great too.

8. andy September 28, 2011 at 10:11 am #

I use the snow peak. it’s great! I also have their double-wall mug.

9. Goat September 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Incompletely thawed Ben & Jerry’s does terrible things to a Light My Fire. I use a long-handled titanium spoon and I love my Victorinox serrated knife for bread and tomatoes.

10. Silvia September 29, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

The Light My Fire plastic one is easy to replace. I have the titanium snowpeak one, but I scratched my pot with it (cause it’s not titanium). Go figure. Just found this blog, and as a Backcountry Ranger this is fun for my computer “office” days.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks