Powdered Apple Cider

I'm kind of a backcountry-coffee-snob (like so many of us are), but not in the sense that I'm really picky about what I'm drinking. It's just always one of the first things in my pack. Second best, alongside your Knorr sauce packets and ramen, is powdered apple cider. Super light, and one of the best fall-time recovery drinks. Sure, your palette becomes a little more critical this time of year when the cider mills are really gearing up, but who's lugging a gallon above the treeline? I take mine straight, but I'm sure this would be great hot-toddied-up. Got some recipes? Share 'em.

7 Responses to Powdered Apple Cider

1. Ryan Berger September 21, 2011 at 10:46 am #

this with a tiny bit of makers mark is pretty tasty.

2. Dan September 21, 2011 at 11:38 am #

I’d believe it Ryan. Usually we settle for some cheap rum – goes down easy after a cold day working on the property.

3. Rick Olson September 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

I drank this nearly every night of my 4-month bike tour last summer. It was usually mixed with whiskey. There’s always room in my pack for this stuff.

4. Chris Adamiak September 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

I find the best part about hot Powdered apple cider, is how you usually destroy your mouth the first sip. I couldn’t even tell you how many times I burnt my mouth with this delicious beverage!

5. Natalie September 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

SO GOOD. I always pack these, coffee, and a spicerack in little film canisters!

6. rachel September 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

It’s no good for long backpacking trips, but my favorite combo with powdered cider is warm red wine, for some easy fake mulled wine. It’s my beverage of choice during my field season.

7. Goat September 24, 2011 at 10:29 pm #

Oh yeah, I had this a lot on the PCT last year, a nice change from powdered energy stuff.