OREGON RAINBOW

If anyone knows more about OREGON RAINBOW, the magazine/art project whose Summer 1976 issue I found while out west last week, please speak up. I can't find too much on the world wide web about this beauty, and that's a goddamn dirty rotten shame. This thing is filled with poetry, photos, history and more, all of which celebrate the handsome Pacific Northwest. More pics after the jump..

6 Responses to OREGON RAINBOW

1. nadya doubell August 26, 2011 at 6:10 am #

Thank you for posting those stunning words. They are brilliantly written and made me feel like my mind took my hearts hand and went for a relieving walk away from my life to somewhere different, and that somewhere different felt good. Sometimes I want to post my own poetry but I don’t think it’s great enough or wouldn’t be of much consequence, I am reminded that I’m not to judge this and I should just go for it. Hopefully someone else can take a nice trip care of my words.

2. jtk August 26, 2011 at 6:47 am #

jeff. holy crap.

3. candace August 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

I am trying to research this wonderful magazine as well i just found 6 issues of wonderful photos, poems by William Stafford and more. The paper is heavy and so well done. Does anyone know the history of this publication?

4. Susan Behrman November 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

I lived in Portland, Oregon during the three years this magazine was published. There were four issues in 1976 (Volume 1, numbers 1-4, Spring through Winter respectively); then two issues in 1977 (#5 and #6), then a final issue, #7, in 1978. I know this because I was cleaning out some old boxes of books just recently and found them after all these years. They are indeed heartbreakingly beautiful publications. They were published by a new, small publishing company, Principia Graphica, which was run by a local couple, the Rickabaughs. I think the production costs were too high to continue with the magazine. Most of the principals in that enterprise are still around Portland and involved in other creative endeavors.
    You can still find old issues of Oregon Rainbow online, here and there. I remember they were quite expensive when they were new, but I was a starving student.

5. Ron Taft October 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

I have 7 issues of Oregon Rainbow for sale for $105.

6. rickyjay July 10, 2013 at 10:50 am #

It is a terrific literary and photographic magazine. I have a complete 7 issue set available for sale.to good home. Excellent condition and near new, with all fold outs and inserts. ASKING: $25.00, delivery to be discussed, Eugene delivery .