Never Cry Wolf

Never Cry Wolf (1983) was one of Disney's first takes at a grittier, more mature venture, and they knocked it out of the park on the first swing. Never Cry Wolf is an adaptation of Farley Mowat's influential book by the same title, written in 1963. You can find this film at most any library, ours has three copies. From wikipedia...
In Northern Canada, a young government biologist named Tyler (Charles Martin Smith) is assigned to travel to the isolated Arctic wilderness to study the area's savage population of wolves. His orders are to gather proof of the wolves' ongoing destruction of caribou herds. Contact with his quarry comes quickly, as he discovers not a den of marauding killers, but a courageous family of skillful providers and devoted protectors of their young. Tyler is befriended by two Inuit who tell him their own stories about the wolves. As Tyler learns more and more about the wolf world he comes to fear, along with them, the onslaught of hunters (Brian Dennehy) out to kill the wolves for their pelts and exploit the wilderness.
Watch the trailer and some clips here. Or watch the whole shebang (for now) in pieces here.

6 Responses to Never Cry Wolf

1. havogel April 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

yess! i had no idea this was a disney movie – by far one of my favorites though. maybe tim will finally watch it now too.

2. Justin April 25, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

I have fond memories of wearing out the vhs tape of this as a kid. It wasn’t until recently when after stumbling onto a program on PBS one evening that I learned more about Mowat and his work. Our affiliate happened to be airing the documentary “Finding Farley”, in which a family documents their trek across Canada following in Mowat’s footsteps. You can watch the whole thing (I think) at the National Film Board.

3. Kormos April 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Thanks for the tip found it my public library, watched it last night. Very good.

4. Eric April 27, 2011 at 11:17 am #

WHoo hoo! I love me some Farley Mowat! The book is quite good too, though biologists have questioned some of Mowat’s conclusions regarding wolf behavior.

5. Ro April 27, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

I kinda remember this movie. But then again most movies that I remember from the 80′s have Brian Dennehy in them.

6. Daan G May 7, 2011 at 4:19 am #

This is a really a great movie. I did a post with stills on it a while ago. You can find it here: http://stillonstill.tumblr.com/post/4716466631