CAMPING AND CAMP CRAFTS

Yesterday I traded somebody an old drawing that I had lying in my studio for this book, The Golden Book of Camping and Camp Crafts (1959). I saw a couple images from this book on Vintage Kids’ Books My Kid Loves and have been scouring used book stores ever since to no avail. The illustrations in this book are unbelievable. Also in the series are The Golden Book of Indian Crafts and Lore and The Golden Book of Nature Crafts. Keep an eye out if you please. More photos after the jump.

9 Responses to CAMPING AND CAMP CRAFTS

1. Seth March 4, 2011 at 8:36 am #

All three of those books have places of revered prominence on my bookshelf here in the office. A definitive part of my early outdoor education…

2. Ro March 6, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

Good score. I miss Scouts.

3. tom March 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

we did a lil’ jam on this book a while back… such a good one. it was my bible as a kid.

4. Chris Adamiak April 5, 2011 at 3:30 am #

What a great book. The tent references and tent pattren are amazing for a “kids” book. The kids wearing the loincloth wrestling I am sure would be frowned upon in 2011. My copy the spine glue is all cracked and pages loose, but it all there!

Great post.

5. Anthony Wilson April 5, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

Wow – those illustrations just strip away all the modern gear envy and make you remember why we love the outdoors!

6. caming gear May 31, 2011 at 3:42 am #

Promoting Team spirit among students : One idea is to take students on camping trips this not only will promote team spirit but will also allow students to appreciate and respect nature.

7. Camper Annie June 28, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Wow, what a find. I would love to get a hold of a copy. This is a great treasure. Thank you for sharing it with us.

8. Supplement August 18, 2011 at 9:01 am #

awesome! =]

9. Eripine February 16, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

A copy of this book was kicking around my grade 5 classroom in Australia in the late 70′s. I now live off the grid in a forest by a river, possibly a subliminal result of this book. 4 years ago I attempted to find it online on a hunch, no recollection of its name, but very clear on the graphic, layout and content of the pages, and that a boat called ‘Corny’ was involved.
    Many thanks for your post.