Merry Christmas

Dear You,

I hope you have a great Christmas and an even better New Year. I asked for a Blue Heeler for the holidays, but I’m hoping I don’t get one. A small apartment ain’t no place for an Australian Cattle Dog. What’d you ask for? Where you going?

See you when we see you,
Cold Splinters

11 Responses to Merry Christmas

1. Michael Kormos December 23, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Staying here in Texas, the high was 84 degrees this week, is snow too much to ask for?

2. Fkarcha December 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

Mountain Equipment Co-op and Cabela’s gift certificates so I can properly equip myself for next year’s adventures, and some books for inspiration.

3. Shannon December 23, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

Oh boy. I have a blue heeler and trust me, you definitely don’t want one cooped up in an apt. They are the best dogs, but also require the most activity. They are too smart for their own good, loyal to the death, funny, spastic, perfect in every way except when you yourself are dog tired and they are not. Mine is 2yrs old and the 10-20 miles we hike together each week is about the only thing that keeps him sane (since he’s not a true working dog- I don’t have cows or anything else for him to herd). I hope you get one someday- in the meantime, I recommend some fish. :) I’m hoping for some nice leather black boots (Mingo the Dingo -as said ACD is called- chewed my Frye’s when he was a pup and I haven’t replaced them). Happy Holidays.

4. Johnny Kangaroo December 23, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

Back home to the Sierras. It will probably be storming so activity will be limited. But then an escape to the desert! Chiracahua National Monument (http://www.nps.gov/chir/index.htm) and Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument(http://www.nps.gov/orpi/index.htm) Happy Trails!

5. Noah December 23, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

I asked for a tent and a sleeping bag, so hopefully there will be more outdoors adventures in my future!

6. tinder December 24, 2010 at 1:20 pm #

Happy Xmas & New Year to you too!

I asked for ‘the Atlas of Remote Islands, found via http://caughtbytheriver.net/2010/12/favourite-things-2/

Nice review too via ‘Book of the Year’: http://caughtbytheriver.net/2010/12/robert-macfarlane-on-a-caught-by-the-river-book-of-the-year/

Going to Scotland in the new year … will keep in mind your fascinating post Re ‘serpentine geology of Appalachia/Britain’

Cheers!

7. mfortune December 25, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

I am making my way over to Port Townsend, WA and Los Angeles (uggh) but spending Christmas here in Seattle!

merry holidays Cold Splinters!

8. Speedmaster December 26, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

Great pic! I’ve wanted a blue heeler for years, hope to get one for our next dog. Any more pics you can post of him/her?

9. Paul Byron Downs December 26, 2010 at 7:14 pm #

Know the feeling see I would love to get a lab but not fair to a dog that loves to go swimming and the outdoors. One of the negative of city dwelling.

Paul

10. Brigid January 1, 2011 at 11:31 am #

we have a heeler—and our 2 acres in the mountains isn’t even enough space for him….they are highly active dogs who need 2-3 hours of exercise daily. An apt dog for NYC is more of a smalllllllll dog scenario. I would feel soooooo bad for a heeler stuck in an apt. –The same feeling I get when I see husky dogs in the hot south. All dogs are good–they are only bad owners… I hope you made a smart decision on this.
    cute pup in the pic!
    B
    Victor, ID.

11. liz December 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

It’s not really a problem of how big it’s home is its more a problem of getting enough exercise. We have kept our heeler in a small home (1 bedroom) and the dog is totally fine as long as he gets to play frisbee in the park and go on a long walk / jog. I agree about 1.5-2 hrs of exercise.