Hirsch Weis

I bought this old canvas backpack on the side of a road in Chestertown, NY this weekend. The label says “Hirsch Weis” but I can’t seem to find too much information about the company. Anybody want to help?

Few more pictures after the jump..

17 Responses to Hirsch Weis

1. tom May 28, 2009 at 4:43 am #

I’m pretty sure that Hirsch was the bag line of the White Stag outdoor clothing company, which used to make all their goods in Portland, Oregon. You can still see the big sign with a white stag in neon, but the building now houses the University of Oregon extension branch of Arts and Architecture.

2. jeffreythrope May 28, 2009 at 9:31 am #

thanks tom!

3. Jesse June 10, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

I just found your pics by searching Hirsch Weis, I picked up a sleeping bag today that looks brand new, it was in its plastic. It looks to be from the late fifties aluminium snaps and flannel liner that ties in with loops. The manufacturer is Hirsch-Weis Canvas Products CO. Logo is the same. Saw an auction site with a 1932 brochure for a canvas wall tent from the same co……cool bag

4. Jesse June 10, 2009 at 6:13 pm #

One more if you want to know about the company search Oregon History Project, here is a hint Wal-maRt ruins everything…

5. John Johnson August 25, 2009 at 6:49 am #

We have a self cooling water bag made by Hirsch-Weis Canvas Products Co. in Portland Or. It is in excellent shape and was used to fill with water and placed in front of car radiators to cool the radiator. It has a rope handle that you would put over the radiator cap.

6. Carbonfish April 17, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

While my being from Portland didn’t have anything to do with my finding this information, I was surrounded by White Stag / Hirsch Weiss skiing and outdoor gear when I was growing up in the sixties. Here is something I found on the Global Network of Computers:

White Stag

White Stag started out as the Willamette Tent and Awning Company in Portland, Oregon, manufacturers of tents and sails. The company eventually changed its name to Hirsch-Weiss Canvas Products, after its founders. In 1929, Harold S. Hirsch, son of the founder and a member of the Dartmouth ski team, was granted permission from his father to develop a new line of clothing designed exclusively for skiers. He adopted the name White-Stag after an inverted English translation of the original company name, Weiss meaning white in German and Hirsch meaning a male deer.

Hirsch’s first outfit was a one piece jumping suit, for the Dartmouth Ski Club. However, he soon began marketing his line to ski shops and department stores around the nation, and business grew steadily. During the first half of the 1930s, only three firms manufactured ski clothing in the United States—White Stag, Slalom Skiwear and the Sun Valley Ski Clothing Company. Until this time, most ski clothing had been manufactured in Europe, where skiing was more established.

By the early 1940s, White Stag was selling ski pants made of wool gabardine, whipcord, and whiptex, as well as poplin jackets, wool sweaters and animal fur jackets. The company expanded its line to include year-round sportswear in the late 1940s in order to operate twelve months out of the year. In 1966 White Stag was purchased by Warnaco Group Inc., who later sold the Portland-based White Stag label to Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in 2003 for approximately $29 million.

Bibliography

Senior, Jeanie. “Where Are They Now? Many Companies Have Left Town, But Names Linger On.” The Tribune. 26 Nov. 2004 http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=27301

“Tip to Tale: Clothing.” Aspen Historical Society. Aspen Historical Society. http://www.aspenhistory.org/tipchp6.html

KC

7. Jerome Lewis April 18, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

I have a Kirsch-Weis Breezeway tent purchased several years ago. The poles are good, but would like a new canvas. It sleeps 3.

8. James Glass July 17, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

I have a old wall tent by hirsch-weis mfg.co.12′x14′ 36″-120z..Given to me from my father -law in 1997.This same tent was given to him by his father-in-law 1990.do not know anything about it,but this tent has been in the family early 1950′s.so if anybody knows anything about these tent let me know.

9. Linda November 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

My mother-in-law worked for Hirsch -weis during the war and made sleeping bags!

10. Lee Andrews February 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

Hi, I purchased a Hirsch Weiss cottage tent in 2010 off Trademe in NZ, I have used it in all weathers this summer and it is brilliant. So easy too put up. I would love to know more about the company and exactly how old this model of tent is, and what else if anything came with it originally, like extra poles internal, as this has no internal just external, but has loops across the ceiling and little metal clips at the apex on either ends and around the door. Our tent has a Stagg emblem on it as well as the name. The above article by Carbon Fish was great to read. Many thanks Lee

11. douglas waters April 20, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

my father recently passed away and left me a hirsch weis 12×9 tent. its in really good shape, however iam having a problem figuring out the tent pole cnfiguration. ca anyone help?

12. michael December 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

can anyone help me i bought a hirsch-weis skyliner xll style 8195-12 cut size 12′ x 9′ finished size 11′x10′x8′-10′ i need the poles for it or the blue print for them so i can make some thanks for reading my e-mail is michaeljgalati@hotmail.com

13. Tom July 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

I have a hirch weis back pak but the pak is not good. However the aluminam framme is excellent.where can I find another pak?
    Tom

14. Mary Ferry February 20, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Sleeping bags work to trap stationary air within the bag itself whilst you sleep, using your body as a radiator to circulate warm air without releasing it. The best kind of sleeping bags are those with features that secure in this heat, whether that’s from an exceptional filling that lofts well, baffles that seal out every cold spot, or the impressive hood that traps in air near your ears and neck.,

Most up-to-date content on our blog page
    <'http://www.caramoantourpackage.com/

15. Jerry March 27, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Yes I have a Hirsch Weis Arabian 8000-12 tent/ the tag reads “Hirsch Weis Canvas Products Portland Oregon 8000-12 Arabian” Division of White Stag. It is in great condition have all the color coded poles/ am looking for directions for it (I know how to do set up just think it would be neat to have a booklet with it..

16. Laurie July 7, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

I bought a 9’2″ x 9’2″ x 7′ canvas tent made by Hirsch & Weiss can not find any information on it. Could someone help me with this?

17. Rosalie Scharen September 8, 2013 at 7:25 am #

Researcher: Rosalie Scharen 2013 personal notes from newspaper article at OHS Library

SB 76 p. 26 a newspaper article dated April 8 1916. “Nothing the Matter with Portland”
    “largest manufacture of tents, awnings, men’s water proof clothing, camp equipment and other canvas wares in the United States west of Chicago.”

summary of additional information:

A company named Willamette Tent & Awning was established in 1881 by J. Henry Wemme and purchased in 1906 by 3 partners becoming Hirsch-Weis Manufacturing Company {and later White Stag -ras}
    It was located on the waterfront addressed as 67 Burnside S West Front in 1930.
    The three principles of the company were originally:
    Max S. Hirsch, President
    Leopold B. Hirsch, VP
    Henry A. Weis, Secretary/Treasurer
    {later Harold Hirsch, son of Max S. became President -ras}

According to the article there were 150 employees and 80% were women. Their products included an Aqua Staig shirt, a Pee Vee shirt and other men’s water proof apparel including a waterproof shoulder covering to be worn over a wool garment. Later there was a product called which was a water bag for carrying water on the outside of a vehicle to keep it cool all day while traveling.
    There was no retail bussines then, only wholesale and materials were purchased from local manfacturers to support local business.
    ===
    Information from personal knowledge of Rosalie A (West) Scharen, daughter of Kenneth E.W. West who worked for White Stag Corporation from aprox. 1938 to 1980′s and was a pattern maker, cutter, and forman of the main cutting room for over 20 years moving to a position of chief estimator in the Pilot Plant up the hill on 52nd Street SE when it was established to oversee other US locations until his retirement. I (Rosalie) worked in the sewing room during the summers starting in 1960, 1961 while going to college. The first summer, I wasn’t old enough to work on a power sewing machine so I turned “corners” and delivered “bundles” to the other sewers. The next summer I attached waist bands to slacks/ski pants as part of the production line process. This was at the new plant at the foot of 52nd street in SE Portland. Earlier when I was about 10 years old and a “perfect” size 10, I modeled a new line of children’s clothing for the principles of the company and received a couple pieces of the clothing as payment for the one time event.

My father started work there after graduating from Benson High School in Portland and worked until he was drafted into the War effort in September 1942 learning the trade. Companies were required then to hold open jobs for servicemen and White Stag did. He returned,after the War was over and continued until retirement.

There is a story he told me about the “thrift” of the original owner/president Max S. Hirsch in the early days. Lights in rooms that were not actively used during the day were to be turned off immediately after use. One day Dad was sent to get some supplies out of the storeroom. My father was 6 foot 2 inches tall and 180 pounds of youthful muscle. Dad went to the storeroom, turned on the light hanging from the ceiling. He stacked the boxes so he could pick them up after pulling the chain over his head to turn off the light. He then headed for the door in the dark, with boxes in front of his eyes as Max S. Hirsch came in the door knocking Mr. Hirsch flat!! Lights were allowed to be left on in the storeroom during working hours after that.